Pages

Sunday, February 12, 2012

Heart Bunting Tutorial

As promised and just in time for Valentine's Day, here's a quick tutorial for this bunting I made.




All you need:



  • A book you can rip pages out of
  • Scrapbook paper (I used five different kinds that I found at Archiver's - the more girly, the better!)
  • Glue stick
  • String to hang the flags on (hemp or twine)
  • Scissors
  • Double sided tape

Here's a closeup of the paper I used:


All you do:

Rip the paper out of your book and trim it so it measures 5.5 in. tall by 4 in. wide. I used my Fiskars Paper Trimmer for this step and it was a breeze.


Next, fold the top of the page over .5 inches. This is where the flags will hang off the twine. Also, make a mark 1 in. from the bottom of the page in the center (see my blue star below), like this:


Use your scissors to make two diagonal cuts from the bottom corners of the pages, meeting at the mark you made earlier. When done, it should look like this:


For this next step, use a scrap piece of paper and draw a heart. I had to do this a few times to get it just right, but it's not very difficult. My problem usually is that the two halves of any heart I drew never looked the same. So, I resorted to drawing only one side, folding the paper in half, and cutting out along the line I drew to create a perfectly symmetrical heart. There is no right or wrong shape. I just played with it until I found one that I liked and that I felt fit nicely on the book pages I cut out.


Once my heart template was done, I used it to trace hearts on the back of the scrapbook paper and carefully cut them all out. I didn't really count how many I had, but I just made sure I had equal number of hearts in each paper pattern.


Next up, I glued the hearts to the center of the flags - I made about 20 flags total. It didn't take as long as I thought it would to cut all the pieces out and assemble everything together, BUT if you need something to take your mind off the task at hand, I suggest any of the movies mentioned here. :)


Once all of the flags were done, I placed a piece of double sided tape in the inside crease of the fold (on top of the page). I placed the twine along the crease and closed the fold, so the flags were glued to the twine.


I glued my flags side by side on the twine and hunt it up on my mantle.

















So simple and such an easy way to dress up the house.  This would also be really pretty as decoration for a birthday party or bridal/baby shower.


All for now!


*~ Ina

No comments:

Post a Comment